Monday, January 4, 2010

What Will You Pay For Naples Real Estate?

I made a beautiful mistake as a college kid by enrolling in a consumer behavior class years ago. I'd love to say it was part of my well designed plan to offer you the best service possible but it was more dumb luck than anything. I had no idea how incredibly intriguing consumer behavior was and I continue to be in awe over what each selling season of Naples Florida real estate will bring. The class taught me to constantly have my eye on change and I spend a great deal of time watching what Naples real estate buyers do and listening to what they say.

I can confidently say that no two seasons have been the same since I've been selling Naples real estate and I think new surprises are in store for us this year as well. For example, there are quite a few irrefutable signs our market has improved and in some segments our market has fully recovered.

How will this year's buyers handle the news that some select segments have in fact recovered and seller's will not be willing to negotiate as much? How will some buyers respond when they learn they may have missed out on the absolute bottom of the market?

Just today I found myself browsing quickly through a furniture knowing fully that I was NOT a buyer but...circumstances brought me there and I never mind taking a quick peek provided I keep myself in check. I remember specifically seeing two pictures catching my eye. I stopped...determined I wasn't "IN LOVE" but I could be a buyer provided they didn't cost over a certain dollar amount. To my surprise it turned out they were 4 times the amount. It wasn't painful walking away, in fact I hardly gave it a second thought and wondered if the possibility of slightly higher pricing or slightly stiffer negotiating might make a select group of Naples buyers behave the same way.

Well, I already know of two groups of buyers who still bought even though their "predetermined limit" was exceeded. The question everyone wants to know is if we can expect there to be a large swing of buyers who will ultimately purchase.

So far I see:

  • Sellers who speak more confidently about selling and who have priced properties more realistically.
  • Buyers who behave less hostile and are happier to be purchasing in Naples.
  • Buyers who feel like now is the time to do it and so they are in fact purchasing.
  • Sellers who are not allowing buyers to pick a number (any number) and are willing to let a deal go than sell below the price they want.
  • Sellers who are sticking firm on negotiations even though there may be a couple of sales of very similar properties that sold for less last summer or fall.
  • Smaller inventories.
  • National real estate stories are becoming more positive.
  • Agents nationwide are reporting stronger real estate markets.
  • Higher Naples real estate website statistics.
  • More buyer email inquiries than last year.
  • More buyer phone calls than last year.

This is just a quick peek at the first week of high season but I can cautiously say it's a brighter, happier and more productive snapshot than the beginning of the last 3 seasons...stay tuned as we continue through for another update!

Best Regards,

Your Naples Smart Girl!

Shannon Lefevre, PA

No comments: